Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Bosch Dishwasher Model #SHX46B05UC. It has begun

We have a Bosch Dishwasher Model #SHX46B05UC. It has begun making a loud noise about 1 hour into the wash cycle. You can hear water running through the drain in the sink when it is making this noise. However, about 3 mins after the noise stopped, it started again. The noise lasts less than 30 secs each time it occurs. What could this be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
this sounds like the drain pump itself. The drain pump comes on throughout the cycle 2 or 3 times depending on the cycle. If you are hearing the noise when the water is draining then the drain pump is the only thing that should be running so I'd check the drain pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is what I thought as well, however, the noise also happens when there is not water running through the drain. Any other possibilities?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
just because there is no water running through the drain doesn't mean it's not the drain pump, the water could be drained out completely but the drain pump still continues to run as it's based on time.