Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My gas oven ignitor stopped igniting, so we had a professional

My gas oven ignitor stopped igniting, so we had a professional come replace it but a month later the oven tripped the breaker. We reset it but when we turned oven back on it tripped it again almost immediatly, plus there was a flash of light from the ovens display pannel.
I called the pro but they were going to charge unless we could prove it was a faulty ignitor so i checked it and it appeared to be bad and since he was chargeing 80$ more than it cost I just replaced it. However even though it was put back in correctly and appears to be fine it still wont ignite and I cant find any answers other than ignitor is bad. Could it be something else?
definitely, when an igniter flashes then it shorts out something along with the igniter. You will need to check the power going to the igniter. If you have power going to the igniter then your electronic gas safety valve is shorted causing no neutral to get to the igniter so it won't glow and the valve will need to be replaced. If you do NOT have 120 volts to the igniter then your control board relay shorted and you will need to replace the control board.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something a do it yourselfer can do with minimal electical exp? Is it worth fixing it if I can get a electric stove for next to nothing? (I love my gas stove but dont want to spend alot or have alot to spend on it).
probably not worth it if you can get a new stove for next to nothing because the gas valve is usually about $150 and the control board is usually about $200.

The control board isn't too hard to replace, but the gas valve is probably not recommended since you need to disconnect several gas lines and reconnect them which can be unsafe unless you have equipment to test for leaks afterwards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok tyvm