John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I lost our web conversation,regarding the GE master board. Long

Customer Question

I lost our web conversation,regarding the GE master board.
Long story short, I found the connections on the underside of L1 and still no voltage, at least at the points I touched.
I hope I was doing it right, as I checked the meter in an outlet, and it worked.
If I took the board off, are there any 'double checks' like maybe a resistance check for an open across L1?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes you can do that O H M out the board if the board you should get a reading from L 1 to the others.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll ohm it out, then.

The GE web site lists boards for about $17-. but I didn't see my particlar model online.

There are some local parts dealers, however, so it will be interesting to see what they have and for how much. Plus hopefully, it will be on hand in stock.

Do you know of any other models which would have the same board as mine?

Also, is there a better version of the board, as I seem to remember changing this one once before.

GT

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You get the part number with your model number, if your going to an appliance parts store take the board with you and have them check it for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll do that.

Some extra observations:

A glass tube type fuse was soldered into the board, but wouldn't ohm out. (the filament looked intact, fooled me!!). It was marked M4.

L1 was either 2 (or 2 pairs) of windings. One winding ohmed out end to end, the other didn't. Neither, however, would ohm out from one winding to the other.

I'll still have the board checked out tomorrow.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Yes thats the best , this way you find out for sure.

Good luck with it thanks

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replaced the motherboard with a $165- non-refundable new one today, and the refrigerator is still dead.

I'm at my wits end, since I paid $300- to a professional 3 weeks ago for an earlier repair for frosting over . After this weekend, I've now spent over $500- on a 10 year old refrigerator.

What makes it worse is that I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this model.

What could go bad between the mother board and the AC power in?

Any help appreciated.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Why did you not call the tech that repaired it three weeks ago that would have been the thing to do, I did not know that you had that worked done I would have told you to call the guy back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That was the first thing I tried, since I originall supposedly had a 'warranty'.

You may not believe this. ead on.

I left 5 mesages on the repairmans voicemail Saturday.

I finally got a call from a stand in today, who told me the original repairman had a family emergency out of country, and he, the replacement had forgotten to turn on his phone during the weekend.

Go figure!!

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Let me look in to this a little I will get back to you.