S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

maytag dishwasher pump not producing enough pressure

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.
what makes you say its not producing enough pressure? what is the problem that made you start checking it out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The pump motor runs but no water is moving through the spray arms

this is the wash motor your talking about. the pump only runs in drain. you need to remove the lower wash arm then the 3 screws on cover. next the 6 in the top of the housing and remove. you will now see the impeller that creates the water pressure. check to see it is not broke on the shaft. remove it and check to see if the impeller shaft is stripped on the motor. one of these two is your problem. i also included a diagram for you.

number 6 is the impeller and 9 is the shaft

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have checked both of these things. the impeller is not broken or plugged but it is spinning. using the manual test mode I have been able to see it spin and it is driving properly (not stripped)
then there is nothing to stop the water from spraying. this is a very simple unit. if it is clear and the the impeller is spinning and not cracked there is nothing else to stop the water. something has to be clogged or it cant be spinning.
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be possible that although the motor is spinning its not spinning fast enough to generate the required pressure?
these motors either run or don't. is the filter housing clear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After a little closer examination the sleeve to the motor was stripped. It would spin when I looked at it, but would stop instantly when touched and was spinning on the motor shaft.

Thanks for the help

your welcome. the replacement will be metal and much stronger.