rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances

My KitchenAid dishwasher will not wash dishes on Pot Scrubber

My KitchenAid dishwasher will not wash dishes on Pot Scrubber or Normal settings and stops at the heating water stage. If you change mode to China/ Light wash, it continues the cycle and finishes just fine. No effect on the cleanliness of the dishes as they are fine. It is 15 years old.

Possibilites: heating element bad or temp switch....any way to tell if I am on the right track?
If the water is not heating,as it will on pot scrubber and normal the timer will not continue, but will continue on light wash(no heat).If the element look good it is most likely ok.The fact the timer advances in a no heat cycle ,and not in a heat cycle means something other than the timer.I would suspect a thermostat problem.The tech sheet to help you is available here. In my experience the timer usually is the least likely problem.If you need more help,ask me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I test the thermostat or heating element?

I see in the tech diagram that the heating element cold is 8 ohms so I can check for an open circuit at its terminals to see if it is bad or good should read 8 ohms with a meter.

What temp will the thermostat close? I guess I can add boiling water to the normal cycle and see if it continues past?

Any other thoughts?

If the heater is good,I would still suspect a thermostat problem.As far as a test and boiling water I am not sure that would work.It may close in boiling water but not close installed on the dishwasher.You could jump the thermostat temporarily and see if it will advance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the easist way to tell if the heater is good? How hot does the water get?
If the heater had continuity it is ok.As to how hot the water get,it will depend on the thermostat.If you look on the thermostat it usually will tell the temp range it is set for usually 130-150 degrees more or less.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Heater is open......where is the cheapest place to buy parts?
If you have no local appliance dealer,sears parts direct is a reputable place as well as good place for parts lookup.Also is repair clinic.