Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

garage door opener stopped working, it is 20 years old, it

Customer Question

garage door opener stopped working, it is 20 years old, it lasted a long time chain drive, gets stuck at the top position from time to time , my dad was here the last time it did it and i don't know what he did to get it working again, but in a couple of minutes it was going up and down again. I was just out there turning that manuel gear inside the cover and it started to work again and then stopped , is there any step by step procedures I could follow to getting it going again?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
It's probably just the limit switch hanging up. It's the screw shaft that turns as the door is moving with the two little switches for the travel stop for up and down. Give the switch a poke with a screw driver.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Here some more information just incase it helps,

Make; Sears

Model: 139.53641SRT

120 volt , 5.0 AMP

yeah I went out there with a screw driver and poked around the work gear, it did not get it going. I wonder if I should loosen the chain up and take the chain off of the spocket

and go from, ....alls it does now is just clicks, like its trying to go

Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Are the photo eyes LED lights at the bottom of door both on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the photo lights are on. I did know to check those
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a meter by any chance for checking some voltage? If you turned the gear inside that controls the limit switch you nay have got them out and that could be it. Can you try 'jumping out' one at a time? then try it?

Edited by Craig on 2/1/2010 at 3:11 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Know I don't have one of those, I have to go to bed now , I will check back tomorrow

thanks for trying I know you are taking it step by step, but with what you have given me so far I havnt learned anything new to try. any other ideals hit me with it for tomorrow and I will check in the morning or when I get home from from work tomorrow. Have a good one!

Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Try jumping out the limits one at a time and try it...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what are limits? and was talking to my dad, hw said the last tine he was here he lossened up the adjustment on the chain and removed it from the top spocket , so he removed the wieght off, and somehow after that he got it to work again for another 2 years,

Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
On the back of the opener, there are two adjustments called 'Tension adjust' One for up and one for down. You can try giving it a bit more 'force' and see what it does. The limit switches are on the side and have a threaded rod that a plastic nut rides back and forth to activate the switch at the top of the travel and the bottom. That is probably out of adjustment. Do you have the manual? Your manual

Edited by Craig on 2/5/2010 at 10:32 PM EST