John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE refrigerator is on, but the temperature is quickly rising.

Customer Question

My GE refrigerator is on, but the temperature is quickly rising. The fans sound like they are on. Food is spoiling quickly. HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Can you hear the compressor and the fan by the compressor going, and the fan in the freezer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what the should sound like. I put ear up to the door of the refrigerator and hear a fan-like noise running. When I open the door, the noise stops, which I assume means the fan is stopping with that action. With my ear to the freezer door, I can also hear some sort of fan, but it continues when I open the freezer door. The sound might be the vibration from the fan in the fridge.

How should I determine if the compressor and fans are working?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Pull the fridge out and take the bottom panel off and check the fan motor by the compressor and see if the coils are dirty this could cause the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it necessary to unplug it first? I will try to do that.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Yes its best to do that , if the coils are bad its the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do the coils look like? The rear of the fridge had a lot of dust buildup near a vent. Removing that panel reveal a large, cylindrical filter looking thing. It is also quite dusty. What should I do at this point?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Thats the problem with the fridge, the coils are clogged up with dirt. clean the coils you will see the fan motor it has blades on it.once clean start up the fridge .It will fix the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the fan motor the cylinder? It is made of metal, has ridges. What is the best way to clean? Vacuum?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Any way you can to get that cleane. the big black part is the compressor . the fan motor has blades.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've only been able to get one side of the back panel off. It must be the compressor that I'm seeing. I haven't seen a motor yet. Stand by.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Take the complete back panel off to to do a good cleaning job
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a white tube with an exposed end near the motor. When I ran the vacuum near it, it sucked up some water. Should it be connected to anything?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
That tube is the drain tube from the freezer it drains out the defrost water , its should be there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cleaned it out the best I could. I plugged it in and can see the motor blades spinning. However, there is no immediate evidence the the temperature is cooling. A moment ago, it sounded like the compressor kicked on which isn't something we've been hearing.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Well thats all great news. Now that its going with the clean coils it will take 24hrs to get back to normal , but you should notice a difference in a few hrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still don't know what you mean by "coils." I opened the back panel and found that the motor has metal ridges that had accumulated dust. All I did was vacuum all of the dust I could from the outer casing of the motor.

Why does dust on the outer motor keep the compressor from running? Is this a temporary fix? How should we prevent this in the future? How often should we remove the back panel and clean in there?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Then most of the coils are at the front under the fridge, pull the kick plate off and clean those coils.and they shoud be cleaned twice a year.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have removed the front kick plate and there does not seem to be any coil like things. What I see is one metal piece that goes the length of the fridge that has a couple of long holes in it, but I just looks like the frame. There is also a white plastic piece the runs front to back on the fridge the is resting against the ground. Still no sign of coils.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I dont have the model number sent that to me please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX - PSS26SGRD SS. As a side note it has not gone down a single degree in temperature.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

# XXXXX are the coils with the fan infront of it.are these the ones you cleaned and were they dirty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I guess I did clean the coils. When should we see any temperature change?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Like I said if its been off for awhile it will take 24 hrs to get back to normal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understood that and I understand that it will take time to get back to normal. I'm wondering how long should it take to drop a single degree, that way I can tell that it is working again?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
For that you can get a change in 2 hrs
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Your very welcome.

Thanks and God Bless.