Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Kenmore gas range oven preheats fine. Shuts off during baking

Kenmore gas range oven preheats fine. Shuts off during baking and oven is cold when I open it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

Is this a gas or electric range?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
gas range
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
does the broil function still work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Broiler turns on fine. I haven't used it to broil anything. Only tried to bake.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

This is going to be a bad bake igniter, you can go to http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect

and input the model number of your range, and order it. this is a very easy repair. Even if the igniter is glowing it is not pulling enough amps to open the gas valve properly.

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The oven does get hot. I tried to bake some sweet potatoes and started out at 375 degrees. Preheated fine. After an hour when I checked the oven was cold. I had to turn the heat up to over 450 degrees to finish cooking.Took over 1 1/2 hours.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
This is caused by a weak igniter, I replace 2 or 3 igniter's a week for the same type of symptoms you explain here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this an expensive part and is it something that I can replace or do I need a repairman to do it?
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

Part cost is around $40 to $75 and is held in with 2 screws for the most part on these ranges. takes all of 25 minutes to do and you will save yourself over $150 in labor, only a screwdriver and a 1/4" nut driver is needed for it's replacement