Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

my ge microwave no longer heats my food. its just blowing

my ge microwave no longer heats my food. it's just blowing cool air. the last time it worked i was making popcorn. what's the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hi ya herb,

Most likely the Magnetron tube is burned out.
This is what creates the heat and the major component in the microwave.
cost about $200. to replace.

Sears Parts

Magnetron

Part for GE, Model # XXXXX

Number: 12664FTKIT $64.99 ....Plus service $79 - $100.

Recommended quantity
Here is an interesting report I just read! Repair or replace? When to pull the plug on your old microwave
Typically, you'll also find a troubleshooting section for more-serious problems
in the owner's manual. Should you pay for a repair or buy a new model?The answer depends mostly on the age of your microwave,how much you bought it for,and the cost of the repair. Follow these guidelines:

When a repair makes sense. If your microwave is under warranty or less than four years old ,paying for a repair makes sense.Note that microwave under warranty might require service from a factory-authorized technician;readers have found them on a par with independent repairers.
When a repair might be a wise choice.
If your microwave is out of warranty and is four to seven years old,it might make sense to pay for a repair. Customers generally pay $100 to $200 for a repair.But you might want to buy a new model even at this stage,given that today's models have added features.Higher energy efficiency is another plus: Energy Star-qualified models made after April 28, 2008,are 43 percent more efficient than conventional models built before 2001 and 56 percentmore efficient than those built before 1993.

When it pays to replace. The repair costs more than half the price of a comparable new microwave.Data also shows that it doesn't pay to fix a less-expensive microwave eight or more years old. Thanks to better recycling programs, less than 10 percent
of microwaves you replace are likely to end up in a landfill.

Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 years experience appliance repair and installation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this something i can change myself? where is it located inside the microwave?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 4 years ago.
Hi ya Herb,

Don't do it.

This is not a home handy person fix.

Microwaves are inherently dangerous to service. Internal capacitors can retain a lethal electrical charge ( 15,000Volts )even when the microwave is unplugged.