Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a Kenmore power miser 5 gas water heater. Today, a

I have a Kenmore power miser 5 gas water heater. Today, a valve situated near the top of the water heater started releasing hot water. I believe the valve is releasing water as a safety precaution due to the fact that the temperature of the water was accidentally set to high earlier today. My question is: Will I need to replace the valve or will everything be ok once the water temperature normalizes? Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me.
you will need to replace the check valve and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you or even a hardware store / thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Larry. Is this something you would recommend me calling a professional to do or do you think a layman can manage. I am an average joe who in the past has done minor work around the house e.g. basic plumbing (replacing pipes), drywall, molding work, etc...
you can do it the same way they would ,, drain the water at lease 1/2 down from the water heater and the check valve screws out and you can use a pipe wrench and just unscrew it out and screw in the new one