Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

how much space needed arround free standing fridge freezer

how much space needed arround free standing fridge freezer to allow air to circulate
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 4 years ago.
The biggest thing you need to worry about is the distance between the back wall and the fridge. You need to have at least 10 inches. The sides dont matter or the top. The vent vents out the bottom so it needs to draw air from the back so it can push it out front.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for replying...

I can understand what your saying about the fridge freezer requiring a larger volume of space at the back of the fridge freezer, as im a Electronics Student, but my mother is not accepting it to well... She wants to know if your sure you mean 10 inches, as i work that out to be 25cm space required from the back of the appliance to the wall...

What will happen if the fridge was to be installed with only 1cm or 2cm space from the back, because she is determined to try to have it installed there, even through ive tryed to telling her...

I think the fridge freezer will over heat and ware out sooner, what do you ?
thanks
If the unit was to close to the wall it would stop all the air from circulating. I meant 2 inches from the wall. Yes it will cause it to wear out sooner.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is 2 inches the minimum amount of distance you would recommend for a free standing fridge unit, stored in side a wooden unit with no gaps at the back and very little overhead space maybe 1cm or 1.27 inches.

Or is 2 inches your recommended back space value, if not whats your recommeded space at the back.

Sorry for the extra question hassel, but im just being thorough.
thanks
2 inches would be the least amount of space.

Edited by Appliance Man on 1/23/2010 at 4:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Your welcome.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years