Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

The door of Whirlpool Duet washer is locked. Will not open. Why?

My front load whirlpool washer stopped. Door is locked, though light is off. I cannot open the door (I am pretty sure it was a "code 11"). Cannot find it in the book. Unplugged it. Still cannot open it. Happened once before. HELP! Thanks!

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Is this a whirlpool duet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Ok, do you see any lights on the panel?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it appears that all is fine. So when I hit start, it double beeps and won't allow it to start and the door will not open. Though the "locked" red light is off. Nothing is stuck in it either. It appears the water never even started. Lines are fine. Water is on?? Weird!

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Is the control lock on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The light is not on though it is locked and it will not let me open the door. So I guess the lock is on; though not indicated.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Ok, first I am going to give you instruction on manually opening the door since we may have a bad lock and then I will give you instructions on how to figure out what the problem is.

1. Unplug the power cord from the outlet.
2. Remove the lower toe panel under the door.
3. Reach up along the inside of the front panel and locate the bottom of the door latch assembly.
4. Located on the bottom of the door latch assembly is a tear-drop shaped tab.
5. Gently pull the tab down about ¼" or until a click is heard.
6. The door may now be opened.

Ok, next click HERE for my super secret duet service manual :). Follow the instructions on running the diagnostic cycle. Once the diagnostic cycle has been run it will throw an error code at you. Just look the error code up in the service manual and follow the corrective actions for that code. The likelihood is that the problem is a bad lock or a communication error.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't get the toe thing off the bottom. Is there a trick?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Yes, pull the machine out about a foot and then lean the machine back and wedge something under the sides. Once you have access to the 3 screws under the lip, you can remove them easier.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh man, this is bigger than me now. Got the dryer stacked on the top too. I will relay this information to the husband! Thanks for your time!

Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Ok, if you have any additional questions please feel free to comment.