Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

my whirlpool fridge keeps turning itself off (but freezer is

my whirlpool fridge keeps turning itself off (but freezer is fine). If I turn it off at the mains for half an hour and switch back on, it comes on again for a period of time but then goes off again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 4 years ago.
The model# XXXXX sent does not go anywhere can you double check it please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
whirlpool ARC7470

Well from what you have said it sounds like there is a problem with the cold control.Did you get the model# XXXXX inside the fridge compartment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i pulled out one of the drawers on the left and it was there
The controls for the unit are they digital?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, manual
Do you mean the unit shuts down completely.The fan stops running and the compressor shuts off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the whole lot goes off (except the light)
Do you know how long it runs for before it shuts down?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a couple of hours, then it goes off
You need to replace the thermastat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is this? and how do i do this?
It is behind the knob that turns the fridge on andd off.I can't get your model# XXXXX go anywhere so i can't get a diagram.So i'am not sure how you take it apart.But i would say there has to be screws holding the controls in place.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have looked up the model number and serial number:

Whirlpool ARC7074

8501 747 15000

Does this help with the diagram?

I can buy a thermostat just need help with fitting
Where are the controls located?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on the back wall of the fridge (inside) has two dials for both the fridge and the freezer (min, med, max) and down one level it has the air control + to -
Are they in a box on the back wall?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, they are just on the back wall and you can put your hand in and move the controls (dial) up and down
Can you pull off the knobs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i guess i could but they are welded to the appliance. The freezer is frost free and working, you don't this could be the problem (ice etc)
It is the thermastat that is the problem.There has to be a access to it.It is just screwed in.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience