John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Maytag Performa dryer has lost power. The breaker is not

Customer Question

My Maytag Performa dryer has lost power. The breaker is not tripped. It dryed a load yesterday but this morning the light won't come on. I checked the plug. Is there a reset button on the Maytag Performa clothes dryer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 4 years ago.
ok so there is 220 at the breaker correct can u get behind the dryer where the plug goes in to dryer to check for a burnt connection thats first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Connection is in excellent shape.
ok can u open the front of the dryer u will be looking for this fuse let me know when u find it please can i get a model number need that first sorry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model PYE3360AYW
hi can u open the top of the dryer the top panel along the back do u see a heating strip unplug first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

got the top up. See the heater coil, 4 metal coils. Looks solid to me (I brushed some lint off of it).

My name is Tom.

If it would help this go faster, you can call me on my cell phone XXX-XXX-XXXX.

hi ok tom right around the area where thw thermostats are facing the dryer they are to ur right do u see a small one against the wall with 2 wires i believe they are white
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i see it

this thermostat sits on the back wall correct by itself
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct
did u get my last email sir
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the thing that looks like a thermostadt to me sits just above the heater coils. Small and round, it has two red wires running out opposite sides. I cleaned it off and it looks ok.
do u see these parts
Part 3344 (Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
3344
Price
$23.55
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe I see those parts.

If the thermostadt is directly above the heater coils, then this is it with the two red wires and some numbers on it.

I understand how a thermostadt would make the dryer quit heating up.

Is the thermostadt the reason the motor quit turning the dryer drum and the light bulb doesn't come on?

no that is a thermal fuse issue if there is a light in the dryer it should still turn on do u have a voltage meter if so check the wall outlet for 220
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't have a voltage meter. Is there any other way to check? I had electricity running that dryer last night at bedtime.

Is there a reset button on this dryer like there is on my garbage disposal? It feels like a fuse or a reset is needed.

Do I need an appliance repairman or an electrician?

i suggest a repair man because he needs to tear the machine down and find out exactly where the problem is