Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation

I have an LG dryer, model DLG0452W. It does not heat. It

Customer Question

I have an LG dryer, model DLG0452W. It does not heat. It has a clean vent, with full exhaust flow and otherwise functions. I have removed front cover and it has a functional glowing element. It will begin to tumble, exhaust blower works, and the element will glow brightly. Once or twice upon starting a cycle, it would ignite the gas, flow for about 2 to 5 secs and then extinguish. It does not always glow, but could be dependent on the various cycles I chose. Once extinguished, it will not attempt to re-light. When I select a high heat, very dry cycle, it usually lights and then extinguishes as above, but not always. Seems like a flame sensor is to blame. I have a multimeter and middling skills there. Can you advise a path to diagnose? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 6 years ago.
Hi ya krtr,

Please open the door on your dryer and record the model number on the sticker in the door way of the machine which you will find on the sticker in the door jam.

This number you gave me is a gas dryer and has no functional glowing element. Model DLG0452W

Edited by Neilwill on 1/10/2010 at 10:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked at sticker on the side of dryer (none inside door that I see) and it provides a s/n. The model number I gave is imprinted on the front, under the power button next to the input control panel. The owner's manual indicates the model I gave as well. It is a gas dryer and I can see what looks to be a glowing coil element, not a sparking device or a hot plate but a coil???
Expert:  Neilwill replied 6 years ago.
Did you remove the vent line in the rear of the dryer and try running it with the vent disconnected for 5 minute?
This is the only sure way to know if it is clogged out side the dryer.
If it gets hot with the vent disconnected then the problem is between the dryer and the outside vent.
If not then we are sure it is an internal problem.

If the blower fan is covered with lint and dust or the internal vent system running from that fan to where the air exits the dryer are clogged with lint or dust you will not get heat either.Taking off the rear panel and the internal vent chute at the blower fan will give you access to this. Other wise you may need a hands on tech with diagnostic equipment.

The thermal fuse may still be bad even if there is no obstruction.

Edited by Neilwill on 1/10/2010 at 11:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did have the vent disconnected and exhausting immediately at the dryer back exit, so I don't think it is themal. It could be withing the vent but the duct itself seems clear. I will check it as you suggest. If it is clear, what would a tech examine except for flame sensor function? Thanks.