Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Maytag Bravo washer MTW6700TQ1, only 1 1/2 yr. old. Every

Maytag Bravo washer MTW6700TQ1, only 1 1/2 yr. old. Every attempt to wash ends on machine overload. Replacing the control panel (W10189966) did not help. Is there a sensor which might have gone bad? If not, what?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

What is the error code that comes up on the display?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Machine overload -- OL. Afterwhich, the water (which filled the tub completely to the TOP, forgot to mention that.) The water would drain and the machine stop.

To manage washing, I would do one load first with soap. Second load with water only to rinse. Third load spin only. But, not sure how clean my clothes are getting or how well it is rinsing, and it is using a LOT of water.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
Is this the exact same problem you had with the original control board?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Take the hose that you hooked to the controller and blow through it to make sure that it is not clogged up to the tub, It is not sensing the air pressure as it fills with water, there may even be a small hole in it. Let me know what you find....

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Using vacuum tester with T adapter, the hose and sensor are leak free. The hydrolic cavity gets a very small amount of water in it when the tub is full and only produces one inch Hg of preasure on vacuum gage. Bottom cap on hydrolic cavity is inserted in more than 1 inch with water stains visibal all around? Suspect a water clog. How is this area accessable.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

you can access this area by removing the rear cover of the machine, there are about 10 screws going completely around the unit on the back, this should give you access to this part, I personally would just blow threw the tube to see if I can blow freely air into the tub.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried clearing the hole with air pressure -- there was no change. So, I relieved air pressure next time and water flows in easily. Conclusion -- not the problem. Machine fill still fill the entire tub with water and immediately drain itself and turn off with "OL" indicator for machine overload.

Any other suggestions to fix my machine?

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
I have quite of experience with this machine, but you have me slightly confused. are you saying when you apply pressure to the hose it shuts the water off and when you release the air pressure to the control it starts to fill again?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, that's not it.

When you relieve the air pressure from the hose, water will fill in the hydrolic tube -- meaning there is no restriction for the water. It is only the air pressure that is holding the water. I believe this part is working correctly.

Nothing I have done has changed the fact that the tub will fill with water all the way to the top and then be pumped out completely and an "OL" display shutting machine off. I believe the air pressure is shutting the water off saving it from overflowing, but why does not the water stop where it is supposed to? What is supposed to control water level?

Something else seems to be wrong with my machine.

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Okay now I am on the same page, to many beers on a Sunday, sorry about that. yes there is no restriction there then, The only thing that controls how much water goes into the machine is the CCU where you hook the hose into, does the inner basket break loose freely during the fill where only the agitator is moving and not the outer tub? Reason for asking that the motor looks for it to break free during the fill when the resistance becomes less enough and shuts off the water for agitation. If it does see this it will continue to fill until the pressure hose says WHOA we have to much water in the machine.. Your inner tub may be stuck on the drive shaft and no lifting up..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The agitator will not turn separately from the inner basket when stopped. Should it?

During the fill, I never saw the agitator move separately from the inner basket. Also, during the fill, the outer tub gives a sort of pulse every five seconds and the tub continues to fill all the way until the top of rim, shuts down (machine overload), and drains to a stop.

You said the agitator raises up. Should this raising free the agitator from the inner basket? Is there a spring or solenoid used to control this raising? Should the agitator be free at rest?

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The tub floats has it fills with water, at a certain point it breaks free where it disengages from the agitator, you will need to remove the inner tub and see if it is sticking, maybe some clothing got between the outer tub and the inner tub, I am enclosing the manual for the CABRIO washer which is identical your BRAVO washer. click on the link below to download it from my library.

https://acrobat.com/#d=mVIX6VQdSS6FcYI3SW-Kwg

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech