Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my whirlpool dishwasher is making a hum/gring sound in the

my whirlpool dishwasher is making a hum/gring sound in the doos with a burning smell. model gu1200xtlq0 is it worth fixing. it is 7 years old.
the noise is in the door? is this a loud grinding noise?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At times it is a very loud sound - really more of a clacking sound, other time it is more like a loud humming grind, athough not as loud as the clacking sound. When the clacking (not clanking - no metallic sound) happens, knocking upward on the bottom of the console seems to it shift to the humming grind, sometimes it will push it into actually adding / draining the water. The sound is not constant, the humming is more prevalent than the clacking.

I switched it from a short wash to a normal wash. Pressing Cancel on the short wash caused the loud clacking. The normal wash seems to have run, with humming every now and then, but when the clacking started, it seems to have been at the end of the cycle. Again, hitting the door seems to have triggered the draining of the water, but it didn't seem to stop draining, even after the water was out. I checked the interior, it was drained, but I smelled scorched/hot electrical insulation, so hit cancel again, and got the clacking. I opened the door and left it open. That is the current state.

Sound seems to come from within the door, in the upper left quarter of the door. I can't localize it better than that.
you need to shut the power off and remove the inner door panel, check all the wiring and see if something is burned,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled the door panel and the control panel cover as well. No obvious burn marks in either area. The smell was more of HOT electrical insulation, rather than actual burn - as if it would burn if it stayed on.
it has to be the control board rely making this noise theres not much else that could do that,strange problem, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can get this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-gu1200xtlq0-%3d%3dei1060952&PartID=1060952 thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

one other point I noticed and left off - my apologies.

The dispenser has a plastic sheet cover between the little motor (which looks like it is pushing a ratchet) and the door insulation. That plastic cover had a spot that looked melted, to the point where part of the sound insulation had stuck in the melted plastic.

That dispenser motor is also located close to where the sound appears to be coming from. The control board is upper right, the motor is more upper left, down just a touch.

Please see Item 8 on http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=651675&ModelNum=GU1200XTLQ0&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=3&Selected=ACGOEJZI&Position=0&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=&Mark=1 , it is what I am using to identify the components in the door.

ok thats different, the wax motor on the vent is bad, I believe, let me look at you link, and I'll be back.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<grin> not going anywhere until I put the door back on - wife already told me that....
well its not a wax motor but it is a solenoid on the dispenser, you will need to replace the dispenser, thats the claking you heard the solenoid trying to hold in, replace the dispenser and problem solved, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks. I will replace that.

ok have a nice day, thanks Bryan