Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello.... I just replaced the heat element in my dryer. Model#

I just replaced the heat element in my dryer.
Model# XXXXX
Now I'm afraid I didn't keep track of the wireing harness,
and may have attached the wires to the heat sensors wrong.
Can you help me?

Are you sure the element was bad? Have you checked the breaker?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
220 breaker is on. I only unplugged while replacing the element.
My fear is, I removed all 4 wires from the bottom terminals of the can and didn't keep track of where they were attached. The dryer runs, just no heat.
One wire has H2 printed on it.
The wires should only be able to go one way, as the terminals are different sizes for the heater and the thermostat. Do you have a volt meter to verify the dryer is getting 220?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't seen it for years.
I did find a wire broken at the exhaust sensor / thermostat part no 341146.
Ok, and you repaired it? Please make sure you are getting full voltage by turning the circuit breaker for the dryer all the way off and then on again. Sometimes they will partially trip, and your dryer will run on 110 but not heat. Also make sure you are not in a fluff/no heat cycle. Are you sure that the element was bad before you replaced it? You will need an ohm meter to check your thermostats.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Repaired with one of the new heat element replacement wires and nut. Reset house breaker.
Still have drum turning and fan blowing. Timer not on fluff/no heat setting
I'm not sure the old element was bad. I just got a new one thinking I could work back from there.

If I find my ohm meter should the thermostat have continuity across its terminals?

Is the thing at the top of the heat element can a thermostat or an overheat circuit breaker?
and what are the things near the exhaust? I guess what I'm askingis, does the intake can as well as the exhaust have both thermostat and breaker parts
Yes, all of your thermostats should have continuity across the terminals. You should have 2 on the heater and your cycling thermostat sits on the blower housing, by the skinny white thermal fuse. Basically if any of them show open, they are telling the dryer that it is too hot and not to turn the heater on.

One last thing you can check now is to take remove the small cover where the power cord comes in to the dryer and see if you have a burnt wire there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Power cord is OK. When I have voltmeter should I check at the power cord terminal for 220.

I'm in Virginia and it's almost 1 a.m. so I'd like to continue with you tomorrow if you are available.
Do you have a schedule?
Tomorrow I will be available in the late afternoon.

If you need assistance earlier, I can opt out of the question and open it up to other technicians. I will check back here in the morning for your response and if you have not had a chance to respond yet I will go ahead and opt out then so someone else may help you.

unplug the dryer and pull the wires off this thermostat, Part 2934 check for continuity across the two terminals., this should have continuity, is there a thermostat at the top of the heater can on the side,? it doesn't show one , there should a 135-155 degree thermostat on the blower I believe, check that for continuity also , it should have it too. part #7 on this diagram, after you check these let me or John know, thanks Bryan,

p.s. John you can jump back in when you get back if you like, I have to go out at 215pm anyway,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm back.
I rechecked the model number and it is LE6810XSWO. It does have a thermostat on the heater can top.

I haven't found my Ohm meter yet. Could I wire 110v across the thermostats with a light bulb?
ok if you have some tape unplug the machine and jump the top thermostat on the can, just get a piece of wire and stick it in the connectors and tape them so they don't touch anything, and try it , if it heats then change the thermostat, this is a very common problem with these,let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I removed the wires from the thermostat and taped them together.

Immediately on starting the dryer I could smell the new element heating.

Could you furnish me with the part number of the heater can, top thermostat?
this comes in a kit, Part 2821you can order this @ for under $30.00, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the high limit thermostat in the kit go at the heat can bottom, or the blower exhaust?
the heater can, its the red and white one goes on the bottom and the other at the top, the red and white one must have been sticking thats why the top one blew, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
sure you can come back Monday if you need more help, thanks Bryan