Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher is not draining

My Kenmore Ultra Wash dishwasher (Model 665) is not draining completely and leaves lots of water in the tub.

So before every wash I have to push drain/cancel before I start the next wash cycle.

There is nothing in the owners manual about this problem. This started to happen only a few months ago.

Can you help?

Thanks

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The likely reason why your dishwasher isn't draining is a blockage.
First thing to check is the drain hose. Take the kick panel off from under the door. The drain hose goes from the dishwasher to under the sink. Unhook the drain hose from the dishwasher end and then if you have a garden hose long enough run it into the kitchen plug it into the drain hose and blast some water through the hose to clear any blockage.
If this fails to clear the problem the next place to check is the check valve. This is the part the drain hose hooks up to. Unscrew this and check to make sure there is not a pit or piece of glass blocking it. The check valve will look like this:
Check Valve on a Dishwasher that isn't draining
If you are still having a problem then the last place to check is the pump. Take the lower pray arm off and take the pump apart from inside the dishwasher. Most likely you will find a piece of plastic or broken glass inside the pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I push the Drain/Cancel button, the machine empties completely with no problem. How could it do this if there was a blockage?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
do you hear the dishwasher draining at the end of the cycle? or does it just go dead? also do you see any lights blinking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I hear the pump but after it washes and the drain cycle is finished it goes into "dry" mode and the next thing I do is open it to remove dishes and there's water in the bottom. It's obviously drained most of the wash/rinse water but leaves enough in the tub to cover the bottom up to the top edge of the drain "pit". And no, there's no blinking lights.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

It still sounds like there is a restriction or blockage. The drain system is designed to run a certain amount of time long enough to take the water out of the machine. If there is a slight blockage or restriction and the water does not go out quick enough water will be left inside and you have to run the drain again.

Follow the instructions in my earlier post and you should be good to go :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Two last quick questions

Any tricks I ought to know about when taking of the hoses, panels and stuff?

And am I able to print out your instructions from this site?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

You will need a star driver and a set of nut drivers. If you give me the full model no from around the door I will pull you a schematic. will look like this 665.74674847

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
665.15895790
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Here is a schematic of the pump assembly that may help you.
Schematic of the dishwasher pump assembly
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's excellent. Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome and Thanks!