Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a frozen water line in our GE Profile refrigerator.

Customer Question

We have a frozen water line in our GE Profile refrigerator. Can we fix this? We are unable to get any filtered water and the technician cannot come until Friday.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
if you know where the frozen line is, use a hair dryer to thaw it out. Often times if the water is frozen inside the refrigerator itself it's frozen in the reservoir behind the lower crisper drawers. Just pull the drawers out and use a hair dryer to thaw it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the ice maker works, the water dispenser does not. The switch works as there is audible click when the water dispencer is pushed
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
if the icemaker works but the water does not then you either have a frozen line inside the door of your freezer or your electronic water valve is bad. The door would either need to come apart or you'd need to turn your unit off for 24 hours to thaw out the freezer door if this is the issue. To check, remove the lower kick panel and disconnect the water line that goes to the door and see if you can blow through the line that goes through the door or not. If not then you have a frozen line in the door, if you can then you have a bad electronic water valve.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have no lower kick panel or at least we cannot find it. As a reminder, we have a GE Profile, side by side refrigerator.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
the lower vent panel BELOW the doors, that is the kick panel that comes off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the vent panel and saw that the waterline is not frozen. There is water in the line. When we push the water despenser you can hear the pump working , but no water. Any other things we could try?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no, you're not doing what I'm telling you. you need to disconnect the water line to see if it's frozen IN THE DOOR by blowing through it. If not then your pump is bad or "electronic water valve"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The line under the frig is not frozen . There seems to be some type of coupling in the line which can perhaps be disassembled. If we do, how do we avoid an uncontrolable flow of water from upstream of the frig from coming out? IF the line in the door is frozen, what can be done to thaw it? Leaving the door open for 24 hours- as some others have suggested - will ruin a lot of frozen food.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
if the line in the door is frozen, that is the ONLY way to thaw it out is to unplug the unit for 24 hours there are no other options.

and that is the connection I am talking about. Push in on the collar and pull the water connection out. There is not water pressure on this line. I little water will spill out because it's in the water line but unless you push the water dispenser paddle water will not flow out this connection. You need to disconnect the coupler to check anything further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to us that your advice is to find out if the line is frozen. If it is we have to turn the freezer off for 24 hours. If the line is not frozen, then we have a bad electronic water valve. We have no way of getting the valve and are not set up for the 24 hours unfreeze the freezer. Thank you for your help. What will be charged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not received a response from my last reply. Why?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what your question is, what will be charged? That depends on what you set the question value as which I believe is set to $14.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
$14.00 it is. For your info the GE man came this morning and there was a hole in the water line. He replaced it. Thank you for you help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and best of luck to you.