Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner GU980SCGG2 doesnt drain.

Our Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner GU980SCGG2 doesn't drain. Check valve is clear and motor is not bound. Motor does not turn, we hear what sounds like a muffled spark about every 30 seconds, and smell a slight odor of overheated electronics or insulation. Any ideas what needs replacing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thyats not good, this means the pump and motor assembly is shot, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these are expensive, around $200.00 and then theres the labor to install it, you can get the pump and motor @ if you wish to repair this yourself, hope this info is helpful, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Two follow-up questions.

1. Is there some way I can verify before spending the $200 that it is definitely the pump and motor assembly and not the motor control electronics (there are a triac and relay and other components visible from the underside)?

2. Can you point me to replacement instructions, or are they certain to come with the pump/motor assembly?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well it could be the relay, it didnt show the relay on the parts lists though, so i didnt know there was one in this model, you can run the machine with the front panel off and see where the sparks are comming from, I beleive though its going to be the motor, I hope I'm wrong, as far as instuctions the best way to do these is take the machine out and disconect the hoses , then you will see the clamps # XXXXX on this diagram, you turn these in and the whole pump and motor assembly will pop out through thye inside, its really not that difficult,I beleive they come with instructions anyway. hope this help, thanks Bryan