Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have an old Jenn Air model 88370. There is a long thick

I have an old Jenn Air model 88370. There is a long thick wire that has come loose from somewhere near the top of my oven. I think it broke off from some location, but I can't figure out where. My oven no longers preheats to the desired temperature. It overheats to near 450 and stays there until I turn the oven off. Any ideas where the wire needs to be reconnected?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 6 years ago.
Is it a little copper tube?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, it appears to be dark gray or black and there is a small hole it comes out from on the from on the top of the oven unit.

It comes from inside the oven?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is inside the oven itself near the front on the right hand side. There is a small circular hole that the wire comes out of. Now that I look at the wire, it may be copper. The wire as it starts from the hole looks like it could be copper. It is pretty dirty. As the wire continues it gets thicker at a certain point - almost like there is a covering over the smaller wire. I hope that makes sense.
Well from what you are telling me i would say that is part of the thermastat.That tells it when it is suppose to shut off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any suggestions as to how to fix it?
It can't be repaired the thermastat needs to be replaced.If you call your local appliance parts store they can get it for you.