Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher has worked perfectly for years

Customer Question

Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher has worked perfectly for years now won't diddolve detergent even though the hot water is 160 degrees, the water flows through the bottom and top spray arms and the door to the detergent compartment opens. Tested the detergent tablets by putting them into a container of hot wter and they dissolve.
Ron Coll (NNN) XXX-XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
how much water is in the bottom of the dish washer after it fills?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
water fills to just below the heater element
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
how hard is this spraying? run the cycle and open the door real fast and see if the water sprays out, not enough spray pressure will cause this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there appears to be plenty of water flow but the inside of the door where the detergent dispenser is located isn't very wet. i don't see water spraying out when the door is suddenly opened which may indicate insufficient pressure. is this problem within the capacity of a reasonably handy individual to take on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there appears to be plenty of water flow but the inside of the door, where the detergent dispenser is located, isn't very wet. i don't see water spraying out when the door is suddenly opened which may indicate insufficient pressure. if i put the detergent in with the dishes and it dissolves will that confirm that the problem is in the spray pressure.
i authorized the $14 payment but couldn't locate any button to confirm per your response.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
i'm sorry my computer locked up, yes you have a pressure problem , this is uasually from the pump assembly. it probably needs to be replaced this is a pretty big job although I dont have your full model # XXXXX i dont know which one your takes, if you get me the full model i'll check, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a Kenmore model 655 (see my original question)
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , inside the machine on the side wall there will be a complete model # XXXXX will start with 665 but there is more, check these places,
LOCATE YOUR DISHWASHER MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Built in

• Inside the door jamb, to the left, right, or top
  • On the door, to the left, right or top

Portable

• On the back of the unit
I'll be back later and will check for reply, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The plate shows the model number as 655, no additional numbers. The serial number is XXXXX The FM number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand the type number is XXXXX Can you tell me what is involved in replacing the water pump? If not can you direct me to where to obtain a service manual? I think I can probably do the work. Thank you for your thoroughness.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well by adding the 655 and the 16912001Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is what I came up with, maybe this will help, you can order this book @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-665.16912001-%3d%3di1469112&PartID=1469112 hope this helps, thanks Bryan