MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

i have a Frigidaire model FRT17LsF that is 2 1/2 years old

Customer Question

i have a Frigidaire model FRT17LsF that is 2 1/2 years old and now the freezer is not working. Do I need to install a 15 amp time delay fuse? If so, where is it located? By the way, we keep this refrigerator in our garage, which is about 34 degrees right now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

There is likely nothing wrong with the unit. It only senses temperature from the fresh food section. If the garage is below 38 deg the unit will never turn on. The freezer stays cold as a by-product of the fresh food staying at the correct temp. To test that the unit turns on use a hair dryer on low and heat up the upper section of the fresh food. Best thing is to not store freezer goods when the garage temp is below 45 deg.

Thank you let me know if you find something else.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, I dont need to replace the fuse?
Heat up the inside and see if the unit starts. If it starts there is nothing wrong with it. Is this blowing a GFCI outlet? or a braker?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we are using the hair dryer. Should we relocate this unit to our basement?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you!

I think inside is best. Starting a cold compressor will cause it to run harder until it is warm. Other wise no freezer goods until spring. Beware though, long terms under 32 deg and you will freeze beer and soda in the fresh food area.