MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

hi, i have a whirlpool bottom frig. GB2Shkxlq00. The bottom

hi, i have a whirlpool bottom frig. GB2Shkxlq00. The bottom is freezing in the top does'nt refrigerate ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 4 years ago.
If you open up the freezer do you hear a fan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes when it was plugged

What was plugged?

Do you see frost on the back wall of the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right now the refrigarator is unplugged because ther was frost back in the wall.like you said. I remove the panel eand let dry all. I took the hair blower too make sure it's dry. Right now i am ready to plugged back the refrigarator. The problem will come back in 2 months...So what is broken ? Sensor?

The problem is in the defrost system. Heater, thermostat or control. You can Ohm (with an electric meter and unit uplugged) out the themostat when it is cold and the heater. If those two check out then it will llikely be the control.

Click here for parts

2-months is a long time for these to frost up. It is more like 2-weeks. When you see the frost on the back wall see if it is else where. (Areas around the door or the celling of the freezer) This means that the door did not get shut all the way. Make sure that is not the issue.

Thank you...

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the thermostat ? Could you tell me in wich section of the parts i should look? I try unit section item 14?
Sorry about the wait. Under "unit parts" #10 is the heater and #14 is the defrost thermostat. Under "liner parts" #24 is the defrost timer. Once the unit has cooled down you can turn the came in the middle of clock wise and when you hear and feel a big click it is in the defrost cycle. The heater should come on. If not likely the stat or the hearter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To try this, should i plug back the refrigarator, wait until tomorrow and force the defrost cycle ?

If the unit has food and is defrosted it can wait until tomorrow. Unplug it when you go for the timer. If it clicks in and heats the timer will need to be replace it is not advancing. Watch the unit closely for the next few weeks after a repair. Just to be safe. Thank you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i understand,

If it's unplugged, i turn the timer and if there is a sound , it means the timer has to be replace. What part number i should turn?

thank you

Plug it back in and the compressor should not come on. Wait about five minutes and you should feel the heater or see it if you have the freezer back off. Unplugged. If you still have the back of the freezer off inspect the dofrost thermostat closely. See if it is starting to seperate at the metal and the plastic backing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I plug it back. The compressor is working. I will wait 5 minute and there is a little frost on the blades? normal? the thermostat has blue in it and the plastic is out of the metal?is it what you mean?
If the plastic is poping out that will be your issue. The unit will cool until it is replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So i have to replce the thermostat?
Yes, this one was the easy way to find a bad stat, good job, thank you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help, i will go buy the thing tomorrow!!