MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

My gas oven will not heat up. There is no gas going to it.

Customer Question

My gas oven will not heat up. There is no gas going to it. I tried the broiler, the glo bar went on but no flame. Do I need a new gas valve or a new part for the oven to ignite or both?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 6 years ago.

It will likely be the ignitor. Part#12400035, use this number if you get it locally. If you have the unit on and the flame does not come on with in two minutes tap the valve with the but of a screw driver and it will likely pop on. Be carefull unplug the unit when replacing the igniter. Note these igniters are good for about 5 years with average use. They get weak with use. If you had smelled gas when using the unit before this is another sign of a bad igniter.

Click here for parts

Thank you....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not smell any gas at all
Smelling the gas is just one of the signs that the igniter is going bad. It would usely be when it is first started. Very rearly is the valve bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So 1 new igniter kit will do the trick, the oven & the broiler will work
The oven and broiler are on the same burner? Or do you have a broiler in the top of the oven?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the broiler is in the top of the oven
Does that one do the same as the bake burner?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The broiler burner has a glow but no flame, I cannot see if the oven has a glow.. again it is just not heating up and I do not hear the gas coming in like before
Did you move or clean behind the unit or in the unit recently?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not move the unit recently, but I was cleaning underneath it with a broom. Then when I went to use it maybe a couple days later...I turned the oven on, walked away for a few minutes, I heard a whistling sound, not like the sound it usually made... I opened it smelled the gas, just figured it was heating up, then a minute or 2 later I heard a boof not really loud but loud enough, then nothing. No gas smell no heat from the oven either
I need you to check where the gas line comes in and connects to the regulator. There should be a tiny lever on one of the lines that come out of it. Flip that switch and test the unit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I took sooo long, my husband did as you asked, still no gas, but now I could see the glow of the oven ignitor. So both parts the oven & the broiler glow, but no flame.. just a note the stove top burners are working fine
It seems unlikely that both igniters would go at once. Did you check that little flip switch I think that had gotten throwen when you were cleaning.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, we checked the 2 switches, the big one on the regulator and the one inside the back of the oven, I could not have flipped either one while cleaning, I only stuck the broom underneath the oven
You will have to see if you are getting gas to the safty valve(the one that runs bake/broil) Unplug the unit and slowly open one of the joints between the safty valve and the regulator. If you do not hear or smell gas it is in the regulator.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK will do. Thank you
Thank you let me know how it turns out. If you still feel it is one of the igniters please do one at a time.