Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

my kenmore soft heat dryer heating element wont come on, what

my kenmore soft heat dryer heating element wont come on, what can i do?
Do you have the model #?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where can i find the model #?
Behind the door.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
model #: 86873100 stock #: 68731
There is a white thermal fuse that looks like the picture in the link. Pull the 2 wires off the fuse and connect them together to bypass the fuse. If it heats you need to replace the fuse. Click here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is this fuse located?
Behind the lower back panel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, i just found it, unpluged the two wires and twisted them (1 red, 1 gree) so that the copper ends were touching. I plugged it up and still no heat. what now?
Remove the heating element and look for a broken coil. If the coil is broken then replace the element.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, but i did that correctly??? as long as the copper ends of the two wires were touching, it was an adequete test?
Yes as long a the metal was touching.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, do you have any instructions as to how to get into the coils. I don't see anyway to get into the aluminum housing around the coils.
You need to remove the whole canister. There is a 5/16 screw that holds it on at the top. Remove the screw and then lift up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is a housing covering the entire top third of the machine's back. I can't seem to remove this housing so I can get to the top of the cannister. Any suggestions?
This is the canister on the right? With the red wires attached to it at the bottom?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The canister will have a screw in the top of it. it is up above the top plate. The top plate usually has a hole in it so you can see the screw.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sir, I have the coils in my hand, I have inspected and there are no broken coils.....what next????
Do you have a multimater?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, sorry.
We have done all the test we can with out a meter. You could have a bad timer or motor. This will require a tech to figure out if you dont have a meter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, i do have one last question for you, you have been awesome! When i pushed the coils back inside the housing, i noticed that there are electical switches on the left side of the housing and there seems to be a little "wiggle" room inside the housing where the coils might not have been touching the switch. Do you think that is a possiblility???
Make sure that is tight and then try to start it and see if it works.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
should i try to bend the canister so it fits more tightly?
No that doesnt matter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
k, gonna see if this works, cross our fingers and toes and.....
Good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
guess what, it is heating up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so, now i started putting it back together and I had the dryer lying on its front and I dropped the clip that holds the top of the canister in place. good grief. anyways, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX absolutely wonderfull.
Your welcome. Take care.