MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology

Hello, my name is Jeff. I have a 2003 Gas Range - GE Eterna

Hello, my name is Jeff. I have a 2003 Gas Range - GE Eterna Series Model EGR3000. The Oven has started to not work right. It may take twice as liong to cook something but when turned up it will burn it quickly. Is it the Thermostate or something else? I'd like to fix it myself as I do with other appliances. Can you give seggestions? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 4 years ago.
When you first turn it on about how long does it take to actualy ignite?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
about a minite or two

Do you sometimes smell gas on the first light up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No

The ignitors last for about 5 years on your style of range. They will start taking longer to ignite. It should light in under a minute. If it takes longer than that it will be the ignitor. Also if you have the bottom of the unit out and watch it ignite the flame should come on full size right away if it starts with a small flame and gets larger after a nother minute it is a bad ignitor. If you think it is the computer or the sensor you will have to do some electrical measurements to see wich one is failing.

See Part # XXXXX on diagram.
or
See all parts for this section / diagram
IGNITER BURNER BAKE (Round Style Oven Igniter)
This round style carborundum gas oven igniter has a body length of three and a half inches. Be very careful when handling this igniter as it is very fragile.
PartSelect #:PS243425
Compare At:$83.44
Your Price:$69.53
You Save:$13.47
Availability:In Stock

It will most likely be the ignitor. If you want you can also get it locally by using part #WB13k4. If you think it is the control or the sensor you may want to have a tech out to look at it. You do not want to guess at the control it is not cheep.

Click here for full line of parts

Some of these units you can switch the broil ignitor to test it if you do make surre to unplug the unit.

Thank you.

MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Oven Thermomitor reads below the 350 stemp setting by about 25 degrees. Is that related to the Ignighter?
If you oven is calling for heat and it is trying to the igniter will glow. If it is glowing and has not lit after 80 seconds it will be the igniter. If you are using an inexpensive thermometer use two of them for checking the oven temp. (they are not very accurate) Place both of them in the center of the oven and let the unit preheat for no less than 35 minutes before taking temps. If you can watch and listen for the igniter and the gas from the drawer it will give you a better feel if the unit is calling for heat and not getting it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's now up to 350 as it should be. I'm not sure what happens but my wife tried cooking several things that took an extra half hour to a full hour longer then usual. She said that it seemed to work better when she turned it down to a lower temp.

Most of the time the electronic temp control will be bad through out the temp range not just at 350 or 400. Make sure you do not use foil in the oven. Shinny new pans will also reflect heat and cause a longer cook time. Some glass pans will also take longer. If your thinking the oven is holding temp. get a cheep white cake mix. (about a $1.50) pre heat the oven for 30 minutes. Follow the mixing directions exactly and place on the correct rack. It should come out perfect with in two minutes of the mean time given on the box. If you have items that are going to be in the oven for more than an 1.5 hours bump the temp up 15 deg. The long cook items do no do as well with the tight temp control of todays ranges.