Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE Spectra oven - we have had to unplug it from the

Customer Question

We have a GE Spectra oven - we have had to unplug it from the wall because the broiler element will turn on. This first happened when the oven was on (and baking at 350), but then it happened again when there was nothing turned on. I also tried just using the cook top and the broiler unit turned on then, too.

Is this repairable or should we be shopping for a new oven? It seems very hazardous, so I wonder if it can be fixed....

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
is the broiler brite red or just hot and not turning red?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

BRIGHT, BRIGHT Red.

When it happened with the oven off, the oven started beeping (like it does when the timer is up) and the clock area said "F2" - which I assume is some kind of error message. We ended up unplugging the oven.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

well this is what the F-2 code stands for,

F2
Note: Also see fan thermal switches
Indicates that oven is over temperature in one of the following modes within either a cooking or clean mode of operation.
· Control senses oven temperature above 650 degrees F with the door circuit in the unlock mode.
· Control senses oven temperature above 935 degrees F with the door in the locked mode.
· Stalled cooling fan or airflow problem.
· Look for welded relay contacts. (Heating elements on in off mode).
· Look for open thermal switch in lock motor circuit. Switch is normally closed and will open if area overheats due to fan not operating. Look for cause - fan thermal switch not closing, fan stalled, etc.
· Look for high resistance in the oven temperature sensor circuit due to high contact resistance (poor terminal crimp, deformed terminals, loose connection) or intermittent solder joint on control or intermittent oven temperature sensor.
· Look for electrical noise interference in the oven temperature sensor circuit (Ham radio, cordless phone, etc.).

I believe this is the problem only the broil element relay is welded on the clock assembly,

· Look for welded relay contacts. (Heating elements on in off mode). you need a new erc (electronic range control.) these can be pricey, I would need a model # XXXXX tell you how much howeve. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no problem, if you want me to look up the part you need just send me the model # XXXXX i'll be happy to, thanks Bryan