Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

For the new year, my maytag gas dryer has decided not to dry...the

Customer Question

For the new year, my maytag gas dryer has decided not to dry...the drum spins, but the heater is not heating. Could it be the ignitor or is it an electrical switch function?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
LDG 8404 AAE
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok let me take a look at your model and I'll be back shortly, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , there are a lot of reasons this can happen, do you think you can take this appart and check a few things? we need to check some things to find out what the problem might be, let me know , thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do you think you can get the front off, there are two screws down the bottom of the front panel if you remove thewm and pull the bottom out and it will come off, be careful there are door switch wires connected just turn it to the side and leave them connected, let me know if you get this done, the rest is easy, I'm just going to have you run the dryer and look inside,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Given mr a little more time...these screws have never been off and their a little tight!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok no problem
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

are you having trouble? let me know thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, panel is off the front of the dryer...what would you like me to do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you left the door switch wires hooked up correct?, put the dryer on high heat and start it, watch inside the dryer and tell me if the igniter is glowing, it will glow orange. let me know, thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryon,

No glow at all...

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok the problem is going to be either the igniter is bad or the elctronic eye (flame sensor) is bad. do you hear a loud click when you start the dryer? do you have and know how to use a volt meter?this is your igniter,Part 3018and this is your flame sensor,
Gas dryer sensor for igniter and flame
Appliance Part Mouse OverAppliance Part Mouse Over
Mouse over to see other views. Everything you see is included in this part.
Part 2681
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No click...just the drum spinning
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok can you use a volt meter? there is a lot of things we need to check,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Bryon,

I could if I had one...unfortunately I lent mine out and it hasn't come back! What's my chances just replacing the assembly?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well I hate to see you buy something you dont need, can you get one for tomorrow afternoon or night? I'll be glad to come back on tomorrow and finnish this with you, (I have to work tomorrow) if you want to try the igniter you can go to this site for all the parts, click this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-LDG+8404+AAE+-%3d%3de I have to hit the hay but I'll check early in the morning for your answer, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate that...let me see what I can do to get one after work. Thanks for the help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok great, dont want you to spend more money than you have to, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Bryan