Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

Our GE microwave oven has a factory metal rack in it, & has

Customer Question

Our GE microwave oven has a factory metal rack in it, & has began to arc out & spark always at the same rear left hand corner of the unit where it sits on a plastic type clip
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
HI
If you turn the metal rack so that the arcing spot is in a different place, what happens?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried this but the arcing is still happening
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
Hi
OK, thanks
Thats what I thought, the arcing is in the same place on the wall of the microwave.
The problem is that the paint is damaged on that area and thats why it arcs.

Remove the tray and with very fine abrasive paper, gently remove the burn marks and any loose paint. Repaint the small area with an enamel paint and it will be ok.
If you want an exact match for the paint, the manufacturer may be able to supply it.

I hope this answers your question

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Bob, I have a couple of quick questions for you, can appliance enamel touch up paint be used, & would the plastic clips that each corner of the grate sits on be available for replacement, as one of them has been melted.
Expert:  Rob replied 6 years ago.
HI
Thanks for the accept, appreciate it

Yes ordinary appliance enamel paint would be good, Its purely to cover up the bare metal.

If you go here and put in your model number, you should be able to ge the clips from here.

Thanks.
Rob