Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Maytag Performa dryer does not heat up. Can I fix this

My Maytag Performa dryer does not heat up. Can I fix this myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you probably can, can you get me the model #? thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok do you have a volt meter and know how to check continiuty? do you have tools to take this appart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have a volt meter and tools.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok first we nned to get you the diagrams, this ones the heater assembly. and this is the front panel. you need to remove screws marked #23 and the pull the front panel out at the top and off the bottom clips. the front panel is part # XXXXX let me know when you have is off, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, This will take a little while.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cover is off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok make sure the dryer is unplugged, remove the wiers in the front of the heating element, Part 484249test element for continiuty, if you have none replace the element, if you do let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, The element reads 0.5 ohm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
i'm not sure how many ohms on this but if your getting continuity then its good, next check the high limit on the side of heating element,
Thermal fuse mounted on heating element or burner tube housing
Part 1660
this should have continuity,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The high limit switch has continuity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okcheck these the same way, Part 481330Part 484290after that you will need to check for 220 volts to the element, this will need to be done live with the dryer running, have you checked for 220 volts at the plug?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get normal voltage at the element with the dryer running. Does this mean that it is OK and that I was mistaken?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems to be fine now. Maybe it just needed a blood sacrifice. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
You must have had a loose wire , hope it stays running thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.