Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I own a maytag side by side. I have noticed a clicking sound

I own a maytag side by side. I have noticed a clicking sound coming from the the fridge. The time between clicks is about 5 seconds and the next click is heard about a minute later, and it starts the clicking sequence again. All items in freezer started to thaw and fridge isn't as cold as it should be.
this is the compressor start relay, you need to change this,
Compressor overload and relay kit
Appliance Part Mouse OverAppliance Part Mouse OverAppliance Part Mouse Over
Mouse over to see other views. Everything you see is included in this part.
Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
its on the side of the compressor, remove the cover on the back of refrigerator and you will see the compressor if the noise is comming from there then change the relay assembly, you can get this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
With me standing in the front of the fridge it the sound is coming from the bottom right rear.Does this still appear to be the compressor start relay?
Is it something that I can replace myself?
Could it be any other problem.
Last night I placed some ice cubes in a zip look bag and this morning they were melted.
its the relay, yes you can replace this yourself, you need to pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the bottom back cover over the compressor, heres where you can get the part, click this blue link, it comes with instructions, thanks Bryan