Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE side by side fridge - freezer leaks water from the bottom.

My GE side by side fridge - freezer leaks water from the bottom. How can I stop this
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you have a defrost drain problem in this, the drain is clogged,you will need to remove the back panel in the freezer and in the middle on the bottom under the coils there is a drain hole, this is frozen and the water from the defrost cycle has not where to go, take really hot water and pour it over the ice until it melts and drains freely, that will take care of your problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is it likely to freeze up again?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
unfortunaley it can , it a poor design, this may not happen again but I cant promise that, there is no absolute fix for this issue, most of the time though if you get it clear and draining freely it wont happen again, I use a piece of 1/4" plastic tube to snake the drain once the ice is gone, sometimes a spider will make a webb in the tube that catches the water and then it freezes, hope this helps, thanks Bryan