Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Whirlpool GEW9868KQ0 Dryer. Heater stoped working. have replaced

Customer Question

Whirlpool GEW9868KQ0 Dryer.
Heater stoped working.
have replaced the element with new.
Still no heat. continuity checks across thermostat and thermister.
Continuity checks across heater relay (diconnected and powered on)
any ideas ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
most likely you have a bad control board,Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=there are two relays on this board, one for the motor and one for the heater, you most likely have a bad relay on this, you checked the thermostats so its not that, you check the one to the right in this picture correct? Part 2821thats the thermal high limit, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, yes ched both thermister and thermostat. also the heater relay is labeled heater and in the center. The heater rely is open unpowered and closed with power. checked Continuity, No one said my question would be easy. any better way to test?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

well there isn't much else that can cause your problem accept the motor centrifugal switch. this sends the other 110 volts to the heater when the motor is spinning. I'm sending you this link, it has all the diagnostic tests for your machine, there are to many to walk you through every one but this tells you how to test the componants, this should give you your answer, click this blue link, let me know what you find, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I started with the tech sheet. Guess I started with a loaded question trying to get an easy solution. Take care

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry I didnt know that, it has to be in the motor centrifugal switch if everything else checks out, there is no easy solution to this, we have to test all the componants with the tech sheets to find the problem, sorry, thanks Bryan