Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE gss25jfmbww side by side fridge. The Temp control

I have a GE gss25jfmbww side by side fridge.
The Temp control is all the up on freeze side and some of the food is not freezing. The unit has always had warm spots from comp. lines. The Ice maker started working slow so I replaced the filter as we don't use water. Water line cracked so I remove solenoid wire on water feed after flushing new filter. I cannot find troubleshooting/ service manual online. I'm assuming there is a temp sensor that tells unit to dump ice. Then unit tell solenoid to fill and sensor tells solenoid it’s full and stops water . I’ve not pulled anything out yet.

Are there common issues/ fixes on these?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

How cold is it in the freezer now?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's got patches of warm spots (ie...middle shelves the frozen peas were soft) but now we've got all out of there...icemaker has made about 2 trays of ice in the last 24 hours.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

do you have frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? check real good use your fingernail to scrape, if so remove the back panel and take a look at the frost on the coils themself. if they are really clogged up you have a defrost problem, very common problem on these refrigerators, the defrost heaters fail, let me know thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey, sorry I'm so busy! . The divider between the fridge and freezer is always warm and again cold is patchy inside. We've pulled all the frozen food and the ice maker is working (slowly). This does not have the computer control (dials instead) for any error codes. I had temp control at 9

Just for fun I've pulled the back panel and the coils don't look bad although the humidity in the air frosted them quickly with the panel off. There was some ice, but very little.

Does any ice indicate a defrost heater issue? What do the heater continuity specs read?

Thanx for considering me.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no if there wasnt much frost its defrosting ok, the one thing that strikes me though is the center strip is always warm, check the fan in the back of refrigerator next to the compressor and see if its running, also check for a lot of dust on the coils, let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not expose comp when I started. It's dusty. I'll get the compressor and shop vac.

Thanx my friend -

Later this evening...all working terrific now...warm strip gone - thanks so much!

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your very welcome, happy new year and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.