Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Frigidaire stove mdel PFEF259AS1. When using the pre-heat

Frigidaire stove mdel PFEF259AS1. When using the pre-heat only the upper oven element comes on and then when up to temperature the it doesn't go to bake until the oven is about 100 degrees cooler. In addition only the upper element works on the self-clean, is this normal?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
most likely you have a bad oven element (the bottom element) make sure this is getting red in bake, as far as the self clean goes the bottom element should also come on in self clean, check the element and see if it gets red hot when you put this in bake also, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In the normal bake operation the bottom element comes on and is as red as the top one. If I don't use the pre-heat, only the bottom element comes on. I never really noticed until the last time I sef-cleaned the oven and noticed only the top element was working.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the top element is suppose to come on during self clean, the problem your having with the temp. is probably the sensor, this sticks out of the back wall in the oven and senses the temp. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these fail a lot, you can order one at hope this info helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Then in the self-cleaning program, only the top element is used and not both top and bottom element?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
both should come on, are they not?