Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Sub-Zero M550 has stopped making ice cubes. A Hint I

Customer Question

My Sub-Zero M550 has stopped making ice cubes. A Hint: I cannot longer hear the sound of passing water after you close the freezer drawer.

I would like to solve the problem myself. I am handy but not an expert and will need someone to hand hold me thru the diagnostics and part replacement process.

thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the first thing you need to check is the tube inside the freezer that feeds the ice maker, it is common for these tubes to freez, take a hair dryer and defrost the tube and see if it starts working, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Let me try the hair dryer defrosting and revert asap.

regards

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I warmed up the tube with a dryer for a few minutes; then closed the drawer but did not hear the "pssssst" noice that it used to make (the sound of water going thru some valve)
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok is the ice maker cycling? (fingers turning)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i do not see any movement in the ice-making structure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok you need a new ice maker, if this isn cycling it needs to be replaced, Part 818945you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b114a4ei818945&PartID=818945 thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bryan, do you think i need to check if the water valve(s) are operating properly before changing the icemaker structure?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well if the ice maker isnt moving at all it wont call for water, the ice maker needs to turn in order for the water to come in
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you. Will order the part, install it (any hints to installing it?) and revert. regards, Nathan

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
there is no special way to do this, there will be three screws holding this in two on the top back and usually one underneath screwed into the bottom, and they just unplug, its best to unplug the refrigerator when doing this however so you wet hands dont get shocked, this has happened to me. happy new year! thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you. happy new year as well. rgds. Nathan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

I followed your instructions and the ice maker is working like a charm.

Thank you

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
your very welcome, thanks Bryan