Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Purchased an Amana chest deep freezer(model C15B-1-L) second

Purchased an Amana chest deep freezer(model: C15B-1-L) second hand a few weeks ago. When I plugged it in, I heard it start up. I let it run a few days before putting any food inside. Two days after putting food in it I saw that everything was thawing out. The food was not even cold.

The indicator light on the front of the freezer was not lit, but the the hood light came on when I opened it up. I am a DYIer, but never really done much with electrical appliances. Not sure how to fix it, but I'm hoping that it will not cost me more to fix then it would have been to buy a new one.

Any advice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Can you tell me where you have the freezer and what the temprature is in that location?

Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have it out in my sun room. It is a covered back porch that is sheilded from sun and rain, but the temperature is the same as outside.

Since I purchased the unit the weather has been anywhere between 35-60 degrees outside.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I see, You are going to have to move it to a warmer area. Now I cannot tell you that this is going to fix any other problems you may have, but I can tell you that until you get it in a warmer area theres not much you can do in the way of testing if you hear it running.

The freezers now that are less than 10 years old have a different coolant than the ones that are older. The older ones performed ok in a garage or on a porch because the oil in the cooling system does not gel. You can verify that your unit does have R-134 by looking at the serial data plate (usually located on the outside). If it does than chances are this is your only problem.

If you have other questions please ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have room inside to test the unit, but not to sit permanently. I removed the service panel. The compressor is a Danfuss, model number P&3980-35WL. Does that unit use R-134 coolant?

If not, is there anyway to convert the coolant system to be R-134 complaint?

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Let me start with the last question first. No there is not a way to convert a R-134 unit to the older R-12 the tubing sizes are different. Tubing size is part of a cooling systems operation. They are designed the size they are because for example if you have one ounce of coolant and you want to squeeze the coolant into a liquid (compress) and then you want to allow that coolant to expand (evaporate) at certian points. The compression point is just after the compressor. At this point the coolant and oil is hot as it is pushed through the tubing in the outside wall this is the place where it is cooled. And then further on it is released into larger tubing where it resembles a spray (evaporate) on the inside of the freezer walls. So if I explained that well enough you should be able to imagine how this would not work because all of the tubing is in the wall. And to replace it you would have to rip the walls apart.

I cannot tell which coolant that one is using. It is located on the model serial data plate somewhere on the unit. Some times you can find the R-??? on the compressor itself.

What I would do is go ahead and move it to a room inside. Turn it off and open the door. Allow 6 hours or so for everything to get warm or longer if you can up 24 hours then close it up and turn it on.

The thing is with the R-134 units is the oil. The oil gels in the winter and the the compressor cannot circulate the freon which mixes with the oil just like food coloring and water. The recommended room temprature is above 55 degrees farenheit.

Thanks..If you have more questions please ask.

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 1/2/2010 at 11:05 PM EST