Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Our freezer ice maker motor has just quit working. It started

Our freezer ice maker motor has just quit working. It started with only making crushed ice even on the cube setting. It also seems to be thawing and freezing frequently. We checked the seals on the freezer and they seem to be fine. But there is a constant source of frost on everything in the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel, is there a lot of frost build up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no frost build up. we also cleaned out the whole backside of the fridge
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok if you remove the lower back cover in the freezer, what does the frost pattern look like on the silver coils? is it 1/2 frosted? No frost?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no frost at all
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Ok then you have a problem with your compressor. You will need to call a technician to fix this issue as you must be certified in freon to work on a compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if it's freon why aren't we having problems with the refrigerator side. Also, what about the ice cube maker? only crushed ice and no solid ice cubes come out of the maker.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The refrigerator will cool at least as much as the freezer is, all the refrigerator does is steal cold air from the freezer. So if the freezer is below 50, then the refrigerator will be below 50 also.

The crushed and solid ice is completely different, it has to so with the little plastic stirrup looking device behind the ice bucket. The metal rod on the bottom of the ice bucket slides into the stirrup looking hole and when it pulls up it makes it cubed ice. Make sure, the rod is not underneath this device and if it isn't then either your ice solenoid (the part that pulls up on the stirrup) is bad, or it could be frozen and need thawing out with a hair dryer from frost.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.