Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

i have a maytag bottom freezer MBF2256HE. the motor and fan

i have a maytag bottom freezer MBF2256HE. the motor and fan turn all the time but will not cool or freeze. Cleaned coils and set to different temps with no result. One thing the fan blows cold air not warm.....thanks....Alan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
If you open the freezer and remove everything inside the freezer you can remove the back panel. Remove the back panel and tell me what the frost on the silver coils looks like. Does it look like a ton of packed frost? Only 1/2 frosted? frosted from top to bottom with a thin coat of frost?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in the freezer area their are 4 screws that hold the large back cover on plus a plugin for the ice maker. is that the cover you want me to remove?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tryed to ask another queston but guess it did not go though....Their are 4 screws holding on a large cover at the back of the freezer area plus a plugin for the ice maker. Is that the cover you want me to remove?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
that is the cover yes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
easier said than done. after removing the 4 screws and unpluging the ice maker their was also a plastic cover over another fan and motor that had to be removed, the plugin for the icemaker has to be pushed though the cover and also a thermastat that i cannot remove from the cover. To answer you question, From what i can see their is no ice on the coils, nothing. What next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
ok that means that the coils aren't frosting which means that your compressor isn't working correctly.

Put everything back (I know, seems like a lot of work just to look at the coils but it needed to be done). Check to see if the compressor is running. If it's running, make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. This cools the compressor and makes it run effeciently. If the fan is running and the compressor is running, you have a sealed system issue which is something you can't fix. It requires a sealed system technician to see what is going on, whether you have low freon from a leak or if the compressor just became ineffecient.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if the compressor is the black item next to the fan and it's supposed to be making a noise or running well it is not but the fan is. What is my next step if the compressor is shot?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
call warranty, the big black round object should be running and if not it's probably a Tecumsa compressor which they have changed to Embraco compressors due to many flaws. They are warrantied for 5 years but if it's over that, you're on your own and you will need to hire someone to replace it which is about $500.