Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a admiral giant compact plus washer that will not go

I have a admiral giant compact plus washer that will not go through the wash cycle, but all the rest. We have been having balance issues and wondered if that might contribute to it.
so does the unit fill and drain and spin? It just doesn't wash? Or can you be more specific?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
to get it to spin I have to pull out knob and apply pressure until it gets into the spin the agitator is not moving in the wash mode. It doesn't do anything after fill up untill you put it in spin cylce manually.
ok then you just have a bad timer, that has nothing to do with an out of balance switch because the out of balance switch would stop both agitation and spinning. You will need to replace the timer to correct the issue unfortunately.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will this be an expensive item and can we do it or do we need a professional? The washer is at least 10 years old. the model number is XXXXX if that helps.
fairly expensive, although it doesn't require a professional, generally the part is about $100. Also, that model number is XXXXX correct at all.