rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
15347769

WE HAVE A SUB ZERO REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER. ALL OS A SUDDEN

WE HAVE A SUB ZERO REFRIGERATOR / FREEZER. ALL OS A SUDDEN WE ARE GETTING A FILM OF ICE IN THE REFRIGERATOR SIDE. THERE IS ICE ON THE BACK PANEL. ANY IDEAS WHATS GOING ON ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Is this ice or frost, and is it covering the entire back wall or is it just around the mid left side .There are a few possibilites,1 is the thermostat is bad and not shutting off.With that the problem it will be covering the entire back wall with frost.2 is there is a leak in the sealed system,or a restriction and there will be a chunk of ice about 1/3 or so up on the left side.
Rob
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THERE IS A CHUNK OF ICE ABOUT 1/3 OR SO UP ON THE LEFT SIDE. HOW DO I CHECK AND SEE IF THERE IS A LEAK IN THE SEALED SYSTEM? IF THERE IS A LEAK IN THE SEALED SYSTEM IS IT EASY TO FIX ?
You will need gauges and special tools to do any sealed system repair,as well as a license to even buy the freon.This fridge will have either 10 or 12 year warranty on the sealed system and will have to be performed by an authorized servicer.The most common reason is a leaky evaperator and as I said requires torches and gauges that most people do not have.If you pull the light cover and the fan cover,you will be able to pull the back panel and look at the evaperator.I suspect you will see a frost pattern only on the upper left side of the coil,instead of a full frost pattern.I would call sub zero and have them send someone out to repair for you.
Rob
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Rob