Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kenmore 110 model gas dryer which has started having

Customer Question

I have a kenmore 110 model gas dryer which has started having a problem where the burner does not turn on every time it is started. It is independent of the temp switch setting. We had a service tech look at it and he determined the motor to be the problem. The drum turns everytime turned on. Is it a case of the motor speed being too low and not creating enough air flow?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
are you saying sometimes the heat doesn't work at all, or does it seem to work through parts of the cycle but other times it won't open.

If it doesn't work at all sometimes, is that usually on your 2nd or 3rd load?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will work sometimes meaning that when we turn on initially if the heat comes on it seems to continue to work. If it doesn't come on rigt away it will go through the entire cycle and never turrn on. It has gotten worse to the point it almost never heats up now.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
well it very well could be a bad motor unfortunately. The motor has a centrifigul switch inside of it that cuts out the heater circuit if it doesn't think the motor is running. This switch cannot be replaced separately from the motor itself, so the repair would be a new motor. That being said, the only real way to confirm this is to see if the igniter glows or not when it's not heating anymore. If the igniter turns on and off throughout the cycle when it's going, it could just be a stuck gas valve. If the igniter never turns on, I'm inclined to believe you need a new motor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just went and checked the operation and as luck would have it the ignitor glowed and this time the gas ignited. This seems to confirm your opinion that the motor/switch is the issue, correct.

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
well no, that doesn't confirm anything. You can't check it when it's working, you need to catch it when it's NOT working.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When it doesn't ignite the ignitor glows but no flame
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok that means you have a bad gas coil that is fatiguing and not opening anymore. The coils should be located just in front of your igniter.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! One last question, I clicked the link to the part and assume I need one and that it includes both coils. If so this is a signifuicant savings over the motor and makes me glad I contacted you prior to either replacing motor or dryer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
yes, there is a 3 prong and a 2 prong coil. This kit comes with both of them that you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was hoping this was the answer but my wife now tells me that the tech replaced the coils initially. She looked at the images and confirmed. Sorry I didn't have this info when first questioning this. Does this mean I'm back to the motor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
well not if you're sure the igniter is lighting but the gas isn't coming out. If that is the case then you have a bad gas valve (the part that the coils sit on)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've just watched through a half dozen cycles and in every case the ignitor glows but no flame.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok then you definitely have a bad gas valve or bad gas coils. If he's replaced the coils already then the valve is sticking and the valve will need to be replaced. That's usually about a $100 part or more and RARELY goes bad... so if you're sure the coils are replaced then tap the valve with the handle of a screwdriver to see if the gas opens up, if so that confirms that you have a bad valve, otherwise, I'd replace the coils again.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again for your help. I will do as you suggest and go from there. I appreciate the help, it definitely kept me from going in the wrong direction.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem but as you said, the motor is definitely not the problem, it would cut power to the igniter if the switch wasn't activating. All the thermostats and switches are working if the igniter is turning on. Either you have bad coils (very common) or a bad gas valve (not common) as your problem.