Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

whirlpool refrigerator freezer works but refrigerator does

whirlpool refrigerator freezer works but refrigerator does not get cold
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Do you notice air coming out of the ceiling vent of the fridge section? Press the door switch when doing the test.

Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer area? Back wall or freezer flooring?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can feel a very slight draft of cold air from the ceiling vent.

In the freezer, there is minimal frost and only on some freezer items, not on walls or back wall.

Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Ok.

That would be a good sign.

The air damper could have just stuck close. You can remove the plastic assembly in the fridge ceiling. The damper is at the back part of the assembly.

Here is your part daigram. Please click the blue word.

The damper flap is in the diffuser ( Part 26, 24) Part 9 acts as a connecting bar to close and open the damper.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I opened the cover on the ceiling and moved the damper back and forth. Even in the open position, there is only a slight draft of cold air. Could there be something else wrong?
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Thank you for that info.

In this case, then there could be ice blocking the passage way of the air.

You will have to check it from the freezer. You will remove the back wall, thaw the whole evaporator coil, find out how air would go down to the frideg section and find out if ice is blocking the passage way. Then if it is, clear the ice and put it back together and everything should go back to normal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took off the back panel and saw some frost but not enough to block the air passage.

However the fan was not turning so I flicked it and it started turning, so I think the fan was stuck. Is there anything I should do to prevent it from sticking in the future?

Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

I usually use cooking oil so that even if it gets to the food, I have no worry about food contamination.

I did not thought of the fan to be stopping since you mentioned that you are feeling a small draft of air.

Anyway, I think you will have it running in no time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure that the problem is fixed. When I went back to check just now, the fan was not turning and I don't hear the compressor either, but there is a hot element at the back, bottom of the freezer below the coils that is quiet hot. Is it in defrost mode? and how do I bypass that?
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it is in defrost mode.

If you want to by pass it, you can turn the mechanical defrost timer clock wise until it clicks and the compressor would start again as well as the fan. But you have to wait at least 5 minutes so that the compressor can start.

The timer is inside the plastic assembly that you have removed at the ceiling of the fridge.

There is a hole where you can insert a flat screw driver to trun the small knob of the timer.

In this diagram, the timer is part 4.

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .