Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

When I preheat my oven it makes a high-pitched squeal until

Customer Question

When I preheat my oven it makes a high-pitched squeal until the desired temperature is reached. The oven is five years old - it only started to do this recently
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
when you shut the door does it eleminate the sound if you push on it, or does it just muffle it so it's harder to hear?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It eliminates it while I'm pushing hard. sometimes it takes a minute or so before the noise reappears. in the beginning it seemed to help if I pushed on the right side but now I need to push on both sides.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
it just sounds like your door isn't sealing up well and it's causing it to whistle as the air inside expends during preheat.

Open the door only about 1" and see if it pulls back tight to the closes position. If not then I would replace the hinges because the springs are getting weak. If it does then I would replace the door seal as sometimes they can start to get hard and not flex as much as they should anymore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think there is a problem with the hinges. It seemed to close securely. The seal doesn't look or feel hard. But, before I let you go - I'm preheating it to hear the noise one more time. It has never sounded like the squeal you hear from a rush of air. Most people have thought it sounded like metal screaching against metal. .....now it started again It sounds like crickets do on a summer night, maybe a little higher pitched. If it's air why does it stop completely when the desired temperature is reached?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
if it's not a continous squeal then it probably just the metal inside the unit expanding, or I've seen the unit be unlevel causing the unit to torque and heat will cause the panels to move a little.

And the reason you'd get the noise when it's preheating is because the air is COLD and when it gets HOT it expands. If the temperature is already HOT and you're just making it a little hotter, it won't generate the same kind of force whatsoever.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it's the metal inside the unit, can that be fixed? And also if it's the metal inside the unit why did it only start to squeal a month or so ago?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I have no idea why it would just come up, sometimes it just happens and if it is the expanding of metal inside, no it cannot be fixed. You can try raising the front legs to see if that offsets the torque on your unit or not but aside from that you either need to do some investigating yourself or have someone come out and look at it because I've given you all the things I can think of that can cause it and without actually being there to hear it for myself, this can get no further.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
best of luck to you.