Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

will not spin, but will still move to agitate during wash and

will not spin, but will still move to agitate during wash and rinse
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer's for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

THe model number should be located somewhere inside the lid or lid opening area of the machine.

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
front load,
model is FTFB4000FS1
serial is XC64403712
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Does it drain out the water at the end of each cycle? Also does your unit have a display or just lights on it show cycles?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it drains. and there are lights showing which cycle it's on
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Let's see if we can get the diagnostic error codes fromt he machine

To recall an error code,

• Wake the machine by pressing any button
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Press and hold the Start and Pause Cancel buttons simultaneously
  • All LEDs will go blank and after a few seconds the control will signal the stored code using audible beeps and blinking

LEDs. The control will repeatedly signal the code, as long as the Start and Pause Cancel buttons are pressed.

A two-second pause between repeats affords you the ability to make accurate counts to identify the correct error codes.

Please Note the following...... on a small number of washers with serial number prefix XC4,

if the previous procedure does not perform as specified, follow the option below:

• Follow all previous steps but instead of pressing Start and Pause Cancel buttons,

press and hold Options and Pause Cancel buttons.

If the washer is a Better Model, the error code will appear in the display. Troubleshoot problem by using charts on the

following pages.

If the washer is a Good Model, the five indicator lights of Door Lock, Wash, Rinse, Final Spin and Control will flash the

number of times for the first digit of the code and the Start indicator light will flash the number of times for the second digit.

Take separate counts of each indicator light, then repeat to confirm in order to be accurate in identifying the proper error code.

The code is obtained by counting the number of times the lights flash. Example E24: The five indicator lights would flash twice

indicating the 2 and the START indicator light will flash four times indicating the 4. The five indicator lights and the START

indicator light start flashing at the same time.

The control will pause for 2 seconds, then repeat the code as long as the two buttons are pressed and held.

Note: A letter appearing in the code stands for a number higher than nine:

A = 10 B = 11 C = 12 D = 13 E = 14 F = 15

Example Code F1: the first digit would be 15 and the second digit would be 1. If this code would appear on a washer in the

Good model line, the five indicator lights would blink fifteen times and the START indicator light would blink once

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
42
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
42 is a door lock error saying that the door is still locked, you can open the door can't you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the door will open. i did the code thing 3 times and got the same result each time. we just tried running a different cycle (rinse) and the door lock light came on and the door did lock that time.
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

Iwant you to do test number 8 on the following instructions

The diagnostic test is performed by using the Program Knob. To START THE TEST:

• On non-digital display models, turn the Program Knob to start position, Drain/Spin.

• On digital display models, turn the Program Knob to start position, Touch Up. (NOTE: If the model has a timer dial that

can be rotated 360°, turn the Program Knob to start position, Drain/Spin.

• Press Pause Cancel to turn off LEDs.
  • Within 5 seconds, press and hold the Option and Pause Cancel buttons until LEDs start sequentially chasing, then

release buttons.

1. All the LEDs will sequentially light. Pressing a button below a light cluster will light all the LEDs in that cluster at one time

to confirm functionality.

2. Turn the program knob (1) click clockwise from the start position. The hot water solenoid will activate and hot water

should enter through the detergent compartment.

3. Turn the program knob (2) clicks from the start position. The bleach water solenoid will activate and cold water should

enter through the bleach compartment.

4. Turn the program knob (3) clicks from the start position. The bleach and the wash water solenoids will activate and cold

water should enter through the softener compartment.

5. Turn the program knob (4) clicks from the start position. The door lock solenoid will activate.

6. Turn the program knob (5) clicks from the start position. The door lock solenoid will deactivate and the loading door can

be opened.

7. Turn the program knob (6) clicks from the start position. The washer will fill and tumble.

8. Turn the program knob (7) clicks from the start position. The washer will fill and spin (leakage test).

9. Turn the program knob (8) clicks from the start position. The drain pump and door lock solenoid will activate and the

washer will operate in high spin. SAFETY WARNING: If power is removed during this test, the door can be opened. To

prevent injury, DO NOT put your hands inside when the tub is rotating.

10. Turn the program knob (9) clicks from the start position. The control will signal the last error code.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did the test (I think). Here's what happened. when I held the pause and option button together the lights never did chase sequentially, instead they all came on together. i held the buttons for quite awhile but that's all that happened. so finally, i let go of the buttons and turned the knob in a clockwise direction for 7 clicks (to "sport"). the machine started filling and then it looked like it was trying to spin, but at that moment it made some VERY loud thumping noises and both the washer and dryer (they're stacked) were rocking side to side violently. then everything just stopped and after waiting a minute or two, we got the error code 43 without our pressing any other buttons
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

E43 Control board problem. Replace the control board.

this is part numberNNN-NN-NNNN You can order the parts you need from the following places, http://www.apwagner.com/, http://www.repairclinic.com/, or http://www.partstore.com/, all of these places offer easy returns and reasonable prices for thier items.

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

That is what the error code you got is. However I would open the bottom access panel and make sure that no shocks are broken inside of the machine, that would seem more logical to me...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. We'll check the shocks. It doesn't seem right that the control board would cause all that thumping and shaking. It may be that we have 2 separate problems. Do we need a technician for the shocks or could a handy amateur handle it?
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.

The shocks are an easy repair, takes about 20 minutes if one is broke. this would also cause your machine to do what it is doing. here is the service tech sheet we were using, it may help you more...

https://acrobat.com/#d=PFMYzO6hepnHBLzEwCpytw

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech