Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

Our new Whirlpool Ice Machine ( model # GI 15NDXTB ) was cleaned

Our new Whirlpool Ice Machine ( model # XXXXX 15NDXTB ) was cleaned for the first time this week. When it was turned back on after the clean cycle was completed (and the drained cap put on securely), it will get cold, but not make any ice after hours of waiting. It also is making occasional loud whistling noises, etc.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

When the compressor starts, do you notice if the condenser fan is running too? Do you feel warm air coming out of the condenser coil?

Can you elaborate on the occassional loud whistling noise? Where do you think it is coming from?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure if the condenser fan is running. The machine is built in, but it sounds like a fan is running. The sounds is like a fast "putting"...put, put, put. I do not feel warm air coming out of the bottom front panel.

The whistling has stopped now and the ice machine is turned on. It is cold where the ice is supposed to be made and the cutting wires are hot.
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Based from your story, it is sounding like the compressor was not able to start or could start but would not run continuously. It may stop if the fan is not running but since you say the fan is running plus you can feel air coming out of the vents, then the fan is running. But the air that is coming out should be warm. That is another indication that the compressor stops because the air coming out is not warm.

Then the put...put..put..sound is when the compressor stops. It does make this kind of sound if it can not push the pressure of the system.

And if the grid is heating up, then it is trying to do a harvest cycle which there is no ice to harvest. After a period of time it will go back to cooling cycle where it should make ice. But if the compressor is stopping in the cooling cycle , then it will just cool the water but not make ice.

Since it is brand new, I would not suggest to you to open it up. It may void the warranty on it.
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .