Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

I have a KitchenAid KUIS185FBL under-counter ice maker that

I have a KitchenAid KUIS185FBL under-counter ice maker that stopped making ice yesterday. The repair technician who came out today told me it's because the thermostat welds came loose and it can no longer regulate itself. The botXXXXX XXXXXne:
1. the repair/parts are $650
2. they don't make this model any longer
3. the models that are made are not the same quality and have more repair issues than the model I have and are more than double the repair cost.

I live in a rural coastal North Carolina town. I've thought of looking for a "scratch and dent" replacement -- but don't know if such a thing exists or how to evaluate what models would be available. I've thought of trying to find a second-hand KUIS185FBL -- don't know where to start. Thought about trying to find the part off of a KUIS185FBL that doesn't work because of a compressor or other big-ticket item, but don't know where to start.

Any opinions? Any advice? Carol

there is a real cheap fix for the whirlpool /kitchen-aid even has a service pointer out on the repair .

the service pointer is dated Jan 2006.

here is a link the parts info.

and here is the service pointer .graphic

did you get my reply ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can't believe it's that simple or that the "fix" has been out there since 2006. I will definitely accept your answer in short order here.

I was watching the NY Times Square New Year's Eve ball drop and did not check for an answer until this morning.

This repairman worked for the company that sold me all my appliances and went out on his own. I'm in a quandary as to whether I ask him to come back and fix the ice maker or find someone else.

Any opinion? And again, many thanks for the repair info. Carol

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm going to accept, to make sure you get paid for the invaluable info. And then hope that you'll be able to post a reply as to what to do about asking the technician to return for the repair.

Again, Whrlp Master Tech, you're the best!! ~Carol