Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a 5 year old Maytag fridge model GT1626BAS and it has

I have a 5 year old Maytag fridge model GT1626BAS and it has stopped working.
Light still on in the fridge part but no motor sound and freezer has defrosted
Any things to check or do I need to get a repair man
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
is the fan in the freezer blowing when you push in on the light switch with the door open
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
does anything work including the lights
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just the light in the fridge section , that all
does the control work or light up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
can you recheck the model number for me please ,, this does not come up for me
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model GT1626BAS

Maytag 457LTR F/Free Fridge

open the fridge door and the control panel that the dials and light switch is on if you look about middle ways down it there is a hole about the side of the end of your finger, stick a screwdriver into the hole and turn the knob inside and tell me if the fridge comes on
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Took off the back panel where temp control knob is and there is no hole as you described. Am I doing it correctly or looking in wrong area
look at number 4 and the timer is inside it and the hole is on the bottom of it
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not look like any part I have in my fridge Larry. I only have one dial on the panel in the fridge where it looks like you diagram has two dials. May have to get a repair man out to have a look.
the problem is the defrost timer ,, it went into defrost and stuck and thats whay the only thing thats works is the lights ,, you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you with the part number and they can pull it up on their computer and show you where it is and hot to get to it and the timer will cost about $35 ,, i would do it this way and same the repairman charge / thanks and have a great new years
Larry
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service